The Housing Specialist position provides assistance, information, and support to resident in homeless shelters operated by Aguila, Inc. Housing Specialist are responsible for securing safe, appropriate housing using subsidies and/or other available resources to maintain residential stability. Working in conjunction with the case management staff, under the supervision of the Director of Social Services, the Housing Specialist is responsible for developing the best possible housing plan with each resident of the program. The Housing Specialist must also be aware of and understand current housing subsidies, public benefit programs, and develop housing resources which includes establishing relationships with landlords and brokers.
- Counsels and aids client’s in need.
- Addresses underlying causes of homelessness through the development of a housing plan.
- Provides on-going management of the client’s exit strategy.
- Orientates each client with facility housing search program expectations.
- Completes case notes for housing activities and maintains records according to agency and funder expectations.
- Advocates for client’s to receive housing opportunities by brokering with landlords and brokers.
- Works towards identifying new housing opportunities for residents through ongoing networks
- Develops and cultivates housing leads and resources.
- Develops and cultivates professional relationships with real estate brokers, landlords and management companies.
- Identifies and maintains resources of key information and individuals in various agencies (HRA, NYCHA, HPD) to facilitate the most current and accurate permanent housing application processes.
- Participates in necessary case conferences.
- Accompanies residents to open houses/apartment viewings and/or lease signings.
- Hosts on-site housing ready workshops.
The position description is a guide to the critical duties, and essential functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands, and work environment conditions.
It is the policy of Aguila, Inc. to provide a comprehensive health care insurance package. Aguila, Inc. has designed a health insurance program that includes medical, dental, and vision at no cost to employees.